Are you looking for a healthier version of the classic orange chicken recipe? If you want Some top notch quality orange chicken that is gluten, soy, and nightshade free, then this oven-baked, battered orange chicken with homemade orange sauce is for you! You won’t miss the soy or gluten, because this recipe is so tasty and full of flavor. Plus, it’s a breeze to make, so you can whip up a healthy delicious orange chicken dinner in 60 minutes. In this article, you’ll learn how to make this amazing dish that is sure to become a family favorite, I’ve already made it twice this week!
Soy Free Orange Chicken Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Fresh/Ground ginger
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
- 12-16 oz of Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut Flour (depends on how thick you want the sauce)
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
Gluten Free Battered Chicken Ingredients
- 6 Chicken Thighs (cut into cubes)
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 egg
- 2-3 cups of water (want a thick pancake like batter)
Soy Free Orange Chicken Sauce Instructions
*Note: Occasionally stir whenever sauce is bubbling, If the bubbling is excessive back off the heat.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a pot.
- Add 1 tbsp each of minced garlic and ginger, let cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tbsp black sesame seeds.
- Add 1/2 cup of rice vinegar, let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp coconut aminos, let cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add 12 oz of orange juice, let cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of honey, stir in.
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut flour, stir in and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Check the sauce thickness, repeat step 8 until desired thickness is reached. (2 tbsp recommended)
Gluten Free Battered Chicken Instructions
- Add 1 cup almond flour to 1/2 cup coconut flour, in a large bowl.
- Crack one egg in the bowl,
- Add a 1/2 cup water, and mix ingredients together with a fork.
- Continue to add 1/2 cup water at a time and mix it in until you get a thick pancake like batter consistency. (usually 2-3 cups)
- Add your cubed chicken to the bowl and mix thoroughly with the batter.
- Place battered chicken on a pan with a rack giving space between each piece. Note: you can also use an air fryer just reduce the cook time.
- Place in oven at 400 degrees on “convection setting” if available.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then check on them.
- Bake an additional 5-20 minutes if needed. Crust should be golden (Lightly charred) and internal temp should be 165 degrees.
- In a bowl coat your chicken with your orange sauce and serve.